It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to AUSTRALIAN GOLDFIELDS PROSPECTORS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. All registrion are auto approved however first posts are suject to admin approval this is for the protection of the membership.

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Bushnell Backtrack point 5 GPS 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 2 time
Post Bushnell Backtrack point 5 GPS
Just bought a couple of these gadgets for use out in the field.
Simple easy to use find your way back GPS, and will certainly give it a good go when we are in WA.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/ba ... t5/360200/
Scroll down the page and hit the " Try it Now " button.

Its been added to the other 3 GPS's i now have.
Garmen Nuvi, Navmen My50, and Explorist 500.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Bushnell Backtrack point 5 GPS
What a beauty !
I like the simple things.
Its a bit like my old Garmin Geko.... Push the on button and chuck it in the backpack, Records all day on 2xAAA.
EASY :D

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 pm
He lives here!

Have thanks: 0 time
Much easier to wander about with than the explorist 500, and much more likley to be keept in the pocket or backpack as well.

We saw some people uisng this one while we were in WA and were thinking of getting a couple of these, similar the your one Narrawa but more basic with only 3 points.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/backtrack/

cheers dave

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm
Site Admin

Thats what we were going to get Dave...but...think about this for a minute.
As remote as it might seem, it could happen.
You fall down go boom! and now you got a broken leg or two.......how you going to guide someone to you? :lol:
The amount of time to guide someone to you transmitting on a small UHF would see it flat in no time me reckons.
Downside is that your helpers using the same GPS cannot load the lat & long...but can head in the direction whilst watching the screen in the compass mode. :wink:

Thats why i decided on the model with lat & long readings.
Bonus time/temp readings.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
He lives here!

Arr very good point, glad I havn't gone and bought the 3 point one.

cheers dave

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:48 am
Patch

Have thanks: 5 time
Hey Narrawa. Reminds me of my little mishap. Went for a bike ride into northern NSW with 3 other guys about 4 years ago. Only problem was it started raining and didnt let up all the way over the border. Came round a corner, hit an uneven patch of tar, went arse up, ended up down over the side of the mountain in a 3metre culvert with the bike on top of me. Mates eventually came back and found me, but there was no mobile service (or so i thought). One mate dialled 112, got emergency.... they told him to leave the phone on which enabled the ambos to come direct to the crash site. Not sure how that works but it sounds like it must go thru a satalite or something.....is it possible it would work the same out in the boonies in WA?? cheers Vet69

Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:58 pm
Site Admin

Lindsay.
It can be done.
http://www.themobiletracker.com/english/index.html

Mobile phones also have reserve power, this comes into play when you dial 000 and the phone battery is flat. I have not tried it yet because your number is logged on the system when you call the emergency number. Prank calls from mobiles is/will be billed to you if you are caught i was told.
In certain circumstances if you continue to call 000 the police will be dispatched to your location. Confirmed by listening to the radio scanner only.

I have used the mobile phone when there was no signal to call 000 and it worked perfectly out bush.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Patch

Just been readin the last issue of the "road Ahead" put out by the RACQ. According to them, the 112 number will only work if there is another carrier who has a tower in the area. They recon it wont work where there is no sevice by any of the providers......aw well, just have to hope we dont have any dramas out in the boonies :-) cheers Vet69

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:34 pm
Site Admin

Ok now for the good oil on these bits of crap called Bushnell.!!

Having been here awhile now and having to call upon the use of the GPS to get me back to camp ...even tho i have my own built in GPS...these bits of crap will get you lost in no time if you are not on the ball.
The arrow will point in one direction while the meter scale will either lower or gain if your heading in the right direction...never rely on the arrow.

No matter how good you think you are out here...your not that good...get a reliable GPS and a good supply of rechargeable batteries and none of the shite from ebay.
Get yourself LSD...Low Self Discharge rechargeable batteries or a good supply of Alkaline with a brand name.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Mate, Not sure we should be promoting LSD here :lol:
Seriously tho, I use Rechargable AAA LSD batteries for GPS , Headlight & UHF and carry 4 spares in my utility belt (like Batman) :D
The only reliability issues I have with my GPS (Garmin Geko) is that it has trouble getting a fix when the tree canopy gets thick. I have been looking around at alternative units but have not seen anything that fits the bill.
Cheers !

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 am
Site Admin

I have contacted Bushnell and given them both barrels....these are dangerous if you rely on the arrow as the primary indicator to finding your way back to your car/camp.

Chook, out here you need to keep your GPS simple.....not everyone is gadget savy these days or takes the time to learn how to operate their implements correctly. So after reading up on a simply GPS i recommended this one. Now having put it through its paces im a little p!ssed with it and its makers.

I await a response from Bushnell before letting as many know to keep clear of it if a fix is not available.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
He lives here!

Mate after talking to you the other day I took ours out and tried them, (there the 3 point ones) but the same thing happened. We marked the car then went for a drive, few km's turned them on and they came to life etc, we knew which way the arrow should be pointing but it was at right angles to the correct direction....hm start goin in the direction we knew to go and the numbers started to drop but arrow still pointing at right angles to correct direction.

Anyhow kept going and it was not until we were about 100metres from destination the arrow pointed correctly.

Bugger & Bugger, this can't be right, so redone the settings and when drove a diffferent direction for a few km's, turn unit on comes to life etc and arrow is pointing wrong way again start going in correct direction numbers are decreasing but arrow refuses to point in correct direction until a 100 or so metres from destination.

So I think we will not be relying on these units for safety and will be using the Magellan Explorist 500 as we normally did. We were thinking with these less bulky Bushnell units that they would be much more convient to be carrying around.....maybe not.

cheers dave

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:47 pm
Site Admin

What i found is the arrow will take you the long way round.....it points wherever than it will swing around and point another line and again after some distance it will swing gain. Not good enough if your in a hurry to get back to camp. Who wants to take the scenic rout in the desert.? :roll:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
He lives here!

Have thanks: 1 time
Perhaps a question to Bushnells would be in order?

Robert

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 am
Specimen

Hi All, A while ago I bought the older round Bushnell Backtrack gps 3 pointer, a few hundred metres away from the car , I could not see my car, I switched the round Bushnell on , and head down, I only looked at the arrow. A few minutes later I was nearly running into my car, I was only 2 metres away. Brilliant, I was very happy with that. Unfortunately, one day I left it on the bonnet and took off, never saw the unit again. So I thought to buy another one , this time I bought the later model, the grey square one, also a 3 pointer. And what a terrible thing this is, can't trust the arrow at all, might throw it away. Cheers, Hermann.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm
Site Admin

Hermann,

Leave it on the Bonnet also. The chap who took the first one might see the newer one and swap ya back.

fdfddd

I'll stick with the Garmins Oregon and Dakota for the missus. Both with topos and street maps. And they work nicely

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 am
Site Admin

Just took the dogs for a walk and thinking of the problem afoot,

Without telling or asking how to suck eggs, but I would think you have set the commpass to magnetic (maybe) true though that should not matter. Has it been re-calibrated to the environment you are in. I do this when changing locations by several hundred kms, this re-assures me that it is correct. Has the magnetic variation been set? Are they a 3 point axis or 2 point? How strong is the GPS signal strength and how many sats does it track?

This has me interested as this should never happen and loss of life becomes a very real possibility.

If this persisted I would be making a warranty claim or getting my money back.

This is a real worry!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:52 am
He lives here!

G'day aubs

I think the biggets problem is they are cheap, ours were $90.00 for both of em delivered from USA, which seemed like a good idea at the time, if they work reliably.

Unlike a Magellan or Garmin they don't let you see how many satellites they lock onto. If for instance they are only using a few then this may account for the arrow pointing in a direction that is not entirly correct.

After our little test run the other day we Googled and had a look at a youtube vid of someone explaining how to use it corectly. The only difference we could see was they pressed the waypoint for the car when they were about 20meters away from the vehicle. Explanition was to make sure the unit was not affected by the metal in the vehicle. And to swing the unit in a figure 8 motion when you turn it back on and it has picked up the satellites, this resets the unit and it seems to make it work much more accurately then when we first tried the uint out the other day.

This short video shows the unit being turned in a figure 8 motion etc, you need to scroll down to the video section in the specs section "Calibration Video". or the "Calibration Tips" video
http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/Ba ... B95D1143B&

cheers dave

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:25 pm
Site Admin

Iv tried the figure 8 thing out here to no avail......have turned off the detector thinking the coil was the problem to find it has no effect.
Basically, they are just a cheap piece of crap....and the company has not replied to my questioning and i doubt they will, knowing im going to ask for my money back.

Will get a Garmin basic unit for the women next time we are in town...i'll go back to using my Explorist 500.

However i will look over the net for any work arounds as i doubt we are the first to find this fault. Maybe there is a secret button push like on most units to reveal hidden parameters.??

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

I've just bought this backtrack device and notice the same thing with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction at the start of it. What I found was by holding it out in front of you like you would do with a normal compass when first switching it on and waiting it for it lock on to the satellites. When it has done so I just turn it around in circles in my hand quickly for a bit roughly half a dozen times and start making my way to my way point back to the car, every now and then stop and see which way to go it gives better direction when standing still with it in front of me. Would I head out bush with out back up I don't think I would that's why I carry a hand held compass as back up and take my bearings with it when leaving the car as well. Remember it's gives a straight line of direction back to camp or vehicle not the same route you took, maybe marking extra way points along the way before hand might help that's something I haven't had to do so far but might give it go when the need arrives to do so, so I guess you just have to remember a bit of the trail that you took, this is only my experience with this device.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 pm
Site Admin

The best thing is to simply look at the meters/klm count down as you walk.
I get better use out of its time display and temp reading. lrh

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

Lol, yes they are a good feature that's for sure.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 pm
Patch

Hi Guys. My Gps is a Garmin Etrac Vista HCx which I won in a reverse auction for $359 about 4 years ago. Think they may have come down in price a bit, but when it comes to reliability and safety its a winner. Have had occasion to use it about 3 times when I was in a new area and the day was overcast. It has all the features but must admit I don't use half of them. One thing I do use it for is to mark a spot where I have found a multigram nugget. Its amazing when you go back to an area a couple of years later, how difficult it can be to find the exact spot.
I use rechargeable batteries bought from Aldi. After I mark the vehicle, I switch the unit off, so the batteries last for yonks. In a new area I also carry a small compass as backup.

cheers Vet69
vet69 has been thanked by:

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]