It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to AUSTRALIAN GOLDFIELDS PROSPECTORS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. All registrion are auto approved however first posts are suject to admin approval this is for the protection of the membership.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 4g antennas explained 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 2 time
Post 4g antennas explained
https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/telstra-4g-explained

The link above makes for some good reading, especially if your looking into a better antenna for the outback....which i am. thmsup

This one looks the goods.
http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-12 ... gi-antenna

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Have thanks: 0 time
Post Re: 4g antennas explained
Hi all
Just like to say thx to narrawa for this topic and his help & advice

I brought one of these
http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-12 ... gi-antenna
Cause the reception where I live is crap!
Also telecoantennas were very helpful, I nearly brought the wrong cable oops
But they got in touch with me, and iAg
So Narrawa tHu

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 am
Report this post
Patch

Have thanks: 5 time
Hi Jen. Now that you have the antenna, could you tell us if u use Telstra or optus and has it made any difference...also did you only buy 1 antenna or two as recommended if your signal is low. cheers, vet69

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm
Report this post

Hi vet69

We use Telstra, did try Optus but that turned out to be a mistake.. Specially cause we travel to W.A each year, and found the other networks just don't cut it..
Only ordered the one antenna so far, I know if I want 4g to work at its best I need two, but am very happy if 3G works.
Where we are living its in a hollow, so reception doesn't always work. Drifts in and out, and when I really need it to work, it's on the out drift.
Anyway haven't received the antenna yet ... Going by the post it's in Melbourne, so once I get it, ( hopefully by this Friday ) and get the other half to set it up I will let you know .

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

No probs Jen, glad that thread has helped someone out.
Do keep us up to date on how it gos in your location, this will also help work out how its going to operate in the west.

Iv not got mine yet, have a few mechanical issues to sort with the truck, but hoping to have it before we leave for the west.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Patch

Hi Jen. Thanx for the update. Where I live in Qld is also a low spot and moving even 1/2 metre can effect the signal..grrr. In the GT atm so service in the van park is good. Wont be back in Qld till end of April, so will be interested to see how it pans out for you.

cheers, vet69

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:38 pm
Report this post

Hi Vet69 & Narrawa
At the moment on our bigpond wi-fi 4g advanced key http://www.netgear.com.au/images/AC782S ... -79074.pdf

we get 2 to 3 bars of signal strength, plus it switches between
Telstra 3G and Telstra H, pretty sure H is duel.. Any way it's always switching causing drop outs..
Grrrr
We are using a 6.5 DB Ariel, which is high on top of our van. Also I have an iPhone only get 2 bars ngo
So can't wait till the yagi one comes, fingers crossed that it will be much better..

I will let you know the outcome.. Keep ya fingers crossed for me please

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 pm
Report this post

woohoo The antenna arrived today, right on my doorstep.

Now I don't know how or if I can upload a picture, I am using a iPad, not to worry though.

Mike my better half :roll: has set it up.

Now he says his not 100 percent sure if it's aimed at the right tower.
I do have open signal app on my iPhone, which tells us where all the towers are..

But so far it's not drifting from 3G to H.. So our connection is steady.
Also instead of having 2 to 3 bars of signal strength, it's staying on 3 bars ..
I would have thought maybe it might have picked up more bars, but maybe that's because it's not aimed the right way.. iDk
Will let you know after running it for the day..
Also like to add the cable I ordered for it was a bit of over kill A3WoW and that there are three of us using the key at once, so it gets a bit of a working out
Cheers
Jen

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Ok Jen, heres the drill. A3WoW
On the modem once its plugged into the yagi, click on Settings>Network>..you'll see at the bottom of the list.. Status connected...touch the little blue arrow.
here you will see the signal strength and the RSSI number, the RSSI number is the quality of the signal. This will help you point the antenna. The lower the number the better the quality of the signal. -50 is pretty good, -80 and you need to mount the antenna in a new location. You'll never get it to +0 and below....not even if you can see the tower like i can here.
The aim is to get the - number as low as you can. That screen will help you out while you walk around the paddock with the modem connected to the antenna lead.
Remember, the - number is probably more important than the signal strength. Its the same as the reading on the satellite dish.....you can have good signal, but no quality of signal = no TV. Nwy

When you see the "H" on the front screen, it means a faster speed, it stands for HSPA (Plus).
When you see the "3G" it means UMTS, a lower speed.

Now, when your PC is mostly idle, you'll see the 3G symbol more often, when you see the "H" it means its working harder.

Here's a little test for ya...Go to the screen that i mentioned above and wait till your see UMTS....now refresh the page your on or go to another page and it will instantly go to HSPA PLUS="H". When the page is loaded, it will return to UMTS="3G".

You have my number if you need to call me. thmsup

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:59 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Hello Narrawa and all

Ok, checked where you said to go on the modem the RSSI number was -95
No matter what direction the yagi was pointed at it didn't changed the number.

Ya are kidding about Taking it for a walk around the paddock! Oh I don't think Mike wants to lug all that heavy cable I shouldn't have brought lrh around the paddock..

Mike said the same thing when it's on H it is actually running faster, thanks for that.. I am always learning thmsup

Still having some slow downs but nothing like before..
Really appreciate your help
thx

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:06 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Quote:
Ya are kidding about Taking it for a walk around the paddock! Oh I don't think Mike wants to lug all that heavy cable I shouldn't have brought lrh around the paddock..
Not kidding....look at the signal from the tower as the spokes on a pushbike wheel. The center being the tower.... Each gap between the spokes can represent no signal.

I guess you have tried both lengths of coax.? ..... if not, give the other a try....could be a bad plug on one end.?
If all is well, you should have seen a marked difference by now.

The next step is height.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:59 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Hi Narrawa

Mike will have another go tomorrow with it, but I don't think he wants to take it for a walk, see how pushy I can be ;)

haven't got another cable For it, it only came with a about one foot of cable attached. So only got the one cable.
We will try and get some lighter and less length of cable for it sometime soon

Mike has it pretty high , but maybe the shed next to us is still blocking it.
It is working ok though..

Let ya know how it goes..

Cheers Jen

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:30 pm
Report this post

Hi
Gee did we have big long slowdowns last night, from about 10:30pm onwards, it was bad
So I didn't need to get pushy.
Now we are only a ten minute drive to town, the nearest tower is say within 20 ks
Although we have hills in the way plus we are in a gully..
With the iPhone on the roof, found the best optimal signal strength, for like two seconds
Using the phone app ( open signal )
iPhone on its own only gets 2 bars.

So up went the yagi, but down went the RSSI number, it's at -99 now
Didn't make any difference aiming it in any other direction.

So I am not that impressed so far, unless we are doing something wrong, which could be.

They didn't take the yagi for a walk, as that cable I ordered is thick and heavy.. wOw

I also thought it would have come with a standard 10 meter cable, so I have emailed them, waiting for reply
But it's the weekend, so Monday I should hear from them.

Well at least the internet is working , sort of iDk

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:39 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Ok,, heres a little test you need to do.

Get to the screen on the modem that shows the RSSI number...keep the modem still in your hands until the number stabilizes....plug the antenna in and take notice of the RSSI number.....did it change.??...If not, its not the antenna, but the modem not switching to the external antenna.

If the number does change significantly, than all is well and you just have to find the right spot.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:11 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Ok did the test
With out the antenna we had -112
Plugged back in it went to -95

Mike seems to think the towers out this way are crap!
He could be right.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:41 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Mike is right....but its not just down there.

Something else to try.......very small movements either side of the strongest signal peak.
Once you have made an adjustment, give it a few seconds to register.

Also, with the PC running, type into the address bar >m.home < this will bring up the modems homepage where you can make other adjustments to the modem which you cant on the modem its self.
The password should already be in the box when you get there its ADMIN, just click the login button.
You can also monitor whats going on while Mike makes adjustments to the antenna if he has the modem in his hand to monitor his actions.

BACK LATTER ON.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:21 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Thanks Narrawa
It's working even though the RSSI is sitting at -95
Yep I know how to do that, but there is one question
When I go to wi-fi click on options
There on the bottom is frequency
Now mine is set to 2.4 GHz
Would it make any difference if that was set to the higher one 5GHz

I don't like to play around with things I know nothing about.. Nwy

Also on the key and home page it tells me there is an update, I did click on it last week, nothing happened
So I haven't done the update yet

Thanks again
Very much appreciate your help and imput BoW

Yep no worries catch ya latter

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:39 pm
Report this post

Just a quick update

I just plugged the other 6.5 DB. Ariel back into it as well so I have both plugged in.
Now still have 3 bars of signal strength and the RSSI is at -94

I plugged the 6.5db Ariel into the first port.
The yagi is in the second, might switch it around and see.

Hmmm nope made no difference.
It still seems to be running not to bad.

Yeah your right Narrawa have to get Mike to take it for a walk about.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:14 pm
Report this post
Patch

Hmmn Jen. sounds at the moment u haven't obtained the increase in signal u would expect. Ok u haven't moved around the paddock yet and that can make a difference..even a few metres can go from no service to 2 bars.

Guess if that doesn't give u the required result are u going to try getting a 2nd one.. cheers, vet69

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:34 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Quote:
Now mine is set to 2.4 GHz
Would it make any difference if that was set to the higher one 5GHz

No, dual band 5ghz is only from the modem to your PC, and is used mostly if your in a neighborhood thats crowded with other users using 2.4ghz. Its not from modem to tower. Your PC or tablet must also support 5ghz in order to use it. It can come in handy if something in your home is causing a lot of interference to the 2.4ghz wifi network.This will show up on your RSSI number if you turn the microwave on for instance. :D

Silly question but i have to ask....what polarity are you mounting it on...horizontal or vertical.? Should be vertical..BUT...gains can be made by mounting it half & half. Half horizontal and half vertical.

The change seen by the RSSI number tells me the the plug is ok..no change and id be worried.
In most cases with antennas, height is might...but not in all cases. If you have a shed close by im betting its causing bounce. You'll have to take the antenna and modem walk-about right away from the shed to see if its causing the problem. Especially if your facing in its direction.... if facing the opposite way...disregard.
Try ground height, try ground height with half & half polarity.
Earth the antenna. Most c/vans are not earthed, not required....this can cause problems with antennas. No a problem if running from grid power tho. Not advisable to earth the c/van, just the antenna.

If you find a good spot after all that, belt a star picket into the ground and clamp the mast to that. And take it to WA with you. thmsup

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:42 am
Report this post
Profile WWW

Hi Narrawa
Thanks for explaining how the Ghz works.

Its mounted vertical, high up above the shed, but mounted to a wooden tank stand, so that might be the trouble still
Will pass on what you wrote to Mike
We are still at the daughters place, will play around with it once back home, could be a few days still.

Vet69
I don't think I will be buying a second yagi ariel, npe they aren't cheap!
Also thought it would have came with the extra cable, and weather proof tape, which I thought was part of the kit, sent them an email, they said no, you asked for the 20 metre lmr400. But gee I paid extra for it, $109 .. it wasn't included in the price.
http://www.rfiwireless.com.au/media/dow ... LATION.pdf
Unless I am reading it wrong iDk

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm
Report this post

Hi
Well we still haven't had a chance to take the yagi for a walk, time seems to be getting away from us.
To much to do, not enough time to do it in..
Now we are camped out for the long weekend, detecting trip..

Not me though, I will be doing this aCa .

Once back home, we plan to buy the lighter cable, then Mike will walk it about A2CooL
So he says .. :roll:
It will be interesting to know if we can get it to work better.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:07 am
Report this post
Site Admin

Would have been interesting to see how it went while your out bush Jen.??

Have you been in contact with the mob you bought it off for any info in regards to its low performance.??

Having looked at other antennas from that site, im still convinced it was the better choice for the locations its to be used. No other antenna has such a broad coverage for use with that modem. This comes into effect for both modem and antenna as Telstra update the cell towers latter on.

Also, use port one1 only for 3G, port two2 is for dual antennas and will only work once the modem has detected MIMO connection. Which out bush is not going to work unless your fairly close to the cell tower.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:28 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok with time running out, i grabbed one of Telstras budget Yagi antennas, overrated gain figures and dear as poison. Gave it a quick test to see if it actually worked, and was gob smacked when it did. A3WoW It'll do for now but i can see myself stripping it down and reconfiguring it for a more realistic design that will produce around 14-16dbi gain for the 850mhz band. Not the advertized BS of 21dbi. As it is, its probably around 11-12 dbi and will be very difficult to point when way out of town as it is now. 15 elements on a 1000mm boom is mathematically tugging it a tad. lrh

Re positioning the elements over a longer boom will be all thats needed to bring it up to scratch. I'll get around to it when out bush.

See what happens when you rush me Rainbow. Nwy neR

rotflmao

Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW

Now... Now... No going blaming Rainbow..

You have had plenty of time.. After all you have been thinking about it for a lonngggg time..

Hope it does the trick out in the bush for ya..

Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 pm
Report this post
Site Admin

Well its not all bad, the telstra jobbie actually performs ok for one thats advertised to do whats near imposable given its electrical characteristics.

From no reception to 3 bars....on both phone and internet. However, there are better antennas for the money that would perform a little better.
It is primarily cut for the 850mhz band, but adds about 3db for the 4G band, which is better than nothing.

PS. im still going to pull it apart and correct the incorrectness. lrh

Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]